The primary reasons for considering interceptive care are as follows:
- To prevent improper growth of the jaws that may be causing an underbite, an overbite, crossbite or shifting bite.
- To eliminate a destructive habit such as thumb/finger sucking or tongue thrusting.
- To reposition one or more teeth that are occluding in such a way that they are damaging the enamel of other teeth.
- To prevent trauma to teeth that are too far forward. This is especially true of the athletically inclined.
- To reposition teeth that are cosmetically poor and the risk of peer ridicule and low self-esteem.
- Interceptive care allows us to treat the patient most successfully: the best smile, facial profile and the most stable final result.